CAMEL has recently received attention from medial sources, including newspapers, TV, radio, and internet sources, regarding our development of acidoCEST MRI. This novel imaging method can measure the acid content in tumors in pre-clinical cancer models, and is being translated to the clinic to assess cancer patients. Tumor acidosis can cause chemoresistance to some common small molecule therapies, so that knowing the acid level in a tumor can aid in selecting the best chemotherapy for a patient. Furthermore, the use of baking soda as a cancer treatment is highly controversial, and our imaging method has potential to monitor the effects of this alkalinization treatment to address this controversy. A series of broadcasts and newspaper stories in April 2012 have led to news stories posted on-line at Inside Tucson Business; MedicalExpress; HealthAM; NewsWise; Stone Hearth News; News Blaze; The Atlantic; HER2 Support; Food Product Design; CancerInDetail; Maricopa County Medical Society; NIH Eurekalert!; SciCasts; BioPortfolio; News-Medical; Applied Science; and World News Inc. during spring 2012. Notwoty stories include:
1. "Grant to Fuel Baking Soda Research", UANews, 3/30/12, http://uanews.org/node/45701
2. "Baking Soda: A Key to Cancer-Fighting Research", KOLD Tucson News Now, 4/3/12. This story was also broadcast by Fox affiliates in Duluth-Superior, WI; Cleveland, OH; Burlington, VT; Minneapolis, MN; Mobile, AL.
3. "UA researcher studies baking soda as treatment for some cancers", broadcast by KEAT News (also known as Cronkite News, Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Arizona State University), Tempe AZ, 4/10/12. http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2012/04/u-of-a-researcher-studies-baking-s... cancers/
4. "Can baking soda battle breast cancer?", KUAT News (PBS station in Tucson, AZ), 4/12/12, https://originals.azpm.org/p/on-azill/2012/4/12/186-can-baking-soda-batt...
5. "Research Finds Cancer Therapies Quickly", published in the Green Valley News and Sun, 4/12/12
6. "Baking soda research could help treat cancer", published in the Arizona Daily Wildcat newspaper on 4/19/12.